The Senior Engineering Manager reports directly to the President and will be based at our facility in Brunswick, GA.
Manage Engineering Department
1. Manage, refine, develop, and organize the Engineering Department.
2. Supervise Design Engineers and Drafter. Potentially supervises Controls / Systems and Production Routing personnel as well.
3. Organize the workflow and time management to ensure work is completed on time and accurately.
4. Determine when other engineers should be project managers of projects. Train employees on project management in order to properly and thoroughly manage projects.
5. Help prepare the technical elements of proposals/quotes based upon information provided by the President and Sales Manager. Consult with key members of the Haven Manufacturing team as well as external suppliers/partners as needed. Meet with customers at the company or visit customers at their facility on occasion to review operations, understand application, and design a better solution. Consult with Systems Engineers for programming challenges in order to obtain concepts/designs and cost analysis.
6. Manage 4-7 projects simultaneously that are being quoted, in process, or being installed, for designing and building machines valued at $200,000 to $700,000 each. Understand and oversee these projects in areas of mechanical engineering, systems engineering, purchasing, scheduling, shop work, and assembly. Organize and remain aware of the progress of each function and ensure all areas remain organized and on schedule.
7. Key elements of direct project ownership:
a. Gather documents (drawings, schematics, and programs) for each machine part/model and bill of materials.
b. For machine tooling and custom components, oversee creation of part numbers, as well as creation of drawings by engineers, if none exist. Make decision with Plant Manager on make versus buy.
c. Provide documents to Production Routing, who creates job order and routing, attaches documents, and sends to plant. Work very closely with Plant Manager in the completion of work sent to the plant.
d. Utilize basic template to prepare operations manual for finished product and create general machine layouts using CAD
e. Collaborate with key internal and external participants for custom and customer specified components, leading those discussions. Oversee the procurement of these items.
f. Directly manage the design phase and day-to-day engineering process.
g. Ensure consistency and thoroughness of documentation throughout the entire project lifecycle
h. Drive projects to an accurate and on time completion, holding individuals accountable as needed
i. Report detailed status to President and other team members regularly using project tracking tools and in person meetings, identifying risk items and the mitigation for each
j. Communicate effectively and often with customers throughout the life of projects
- Develop relationships and in depth knowledge with customers about their current operations. If they happen to be cutting or processing material currently, gather all information about their processing, tooling, maintenance capabilities, etc. Make every effort to assimilate our equipment into their operations, and take advantage of what they have already learned about their particular products and processes that we may not already know.
- Travel onsite to some customer locations in order to inspect new installations for proper hookup and provide advice to customers. Personally hook up machines and lead the machine start-up on occasion. Communicate with customers to ensure they understand capabilities of machine. Conduct training with operators and maintenance.
Additional Areas of Responsibility:
- Identify and implement labor and material cost reductions, and product efficiency improvements. Facilitate team activities to identify and implement these improvements.
- Learn the various personalities of employees and key customers, and how to interact with each in order to positively affect change. Must have ability to handle confrontation and conflict in a calm professional manner.
- Travel onsite to customer locations domestically and internationally as needed to inspect and provide advice regarding repair and parts for old equipment and train operations due to customer turnover. Personally make repairs and perform services occasionally.
- Talk customers through machine repair service over telephone for equipment that’s been in service for many years.
- Become involved with Product Development projects for additional solutions and machines Haven will provide in the future. Develop a close working relationship with Haven’s Sales Manager in order to understand the full scope of opportunities Haven is being asked to consider. We will need to continuously evolve our product offerings to meet the needs of our customers.
• Direct or indirect experience running an Engineering Department
• Management experience supervising designers and manufacturing engineers
• Degreed Manufacturing, Mechanical, or Electrical engineer
• Extensive experience in manufacturing environments
• Experience designing and building machinery
• Project management experience
• ISO background preferred to understand document control
• Able to use Auto CAD, at least for conceptual drawings
• High organization, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills
• Domestic and International travel: 10-25% of time